Just installed a Debian 6 on a VM and found that the system boots up with the GUI console. I rather wanted to use the system as console. Found this useful tip on the Web to start Debian as console:
- Navigate to /etc/default/grub file
- Look for line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet”
- Replace line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet text”
- Run command ‘update-grub’ on the console
- Restart the machine using ‘shutdown -r now’
The system will startup in console mode after reboot. To revert the boot mode – replace the content in the grub file and follow the steps after that.